Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Giving Doesn’t Always Come With a Bow.

When I was a new nurse, I can remember being shocked at how many people spent the holidays in the hospital, alone without any family or friends to celebrate the holiday season.  These patients were often dropped off by family members or transferred from skilled facilities due to illness.  They spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, not surrounding by family and friends, but with nurses, physicians and nursing assistants that would have rather been home with their families than spend the holidays at work. I remember feeling sad for these patients. Sad that they were alone during a time that was meant to be a celebration of giving, receiving, and joy.


It wasn’t until recently that I realized that patients in the hospitals weren’t the only ones that may be spending the holidays alone.  They can be your neighbors, people from your church, your distant family members and even your friend. Although they may not be in the hospital, they may still be alone and in need of some Christmas cheer.
I have an elderly aunt that I’ve only seen once in the last 5 years. I’ve kept in touch with her through my father who updates me from time to time about her health. She was recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and had to have her sister move in to help her. Every now and then I think about her and how I should “give her a call”, but then my busy life just gets in the way.  The sad thing is, I only live about 5 miles from her – no excuse.
However, it is never too late to do the right thing. This Christmas, in addition to celebrating in the traditional way with presents, good food and surrounded by lots of family and friends, don’t forget about the people that might not have the same good fortune that you have and do something magical for them. Give them the gift of your time.  Stop by for a visit, invite them to Christmas dinner, or bring them to church. I guarantee that the best gifts for many won’t need to be wrapped in a bow or come in a box.
Pause and think about someone in your life that might be alone this holiday and reach out to him or her. Don’t put it off thinking that you’ll “give him or her a call sometime” because before you know it, it will be next Christmas.

I’m glad to say that writing this prompted me to call my aunt. I am spending the day after Christmas with her and her sister. She was thrilled when I called her and I could hear the joy in her voice. She has no idea that although I was the “giver”, to me I was the receiver. Time spent with someone that really needs it, is truly priceless.

Merry Christmas

R. Thompson, MSN, RN, CMSRN


No comments:

Post a Comment